This thatched riverside holiday home in the surfer’s mecca of St Francis Bay puts a series of simple barn-like buildings in the service of the ultimate relaxing family holiday experience.
Decorating duo AJ Bell and Carla De Fondaumiere of GDF Design Lab worked with homeowner Fiona Ferguson to create an unfussy interior that celebrated not only the idea of relaxed family living but championed pieces that had been collected over the years by the owners. Playfulness is introduced by furniture pieces and artwork in bold pops of colour, but otherwise the decorating embraces the washed out neutral tones of the home’s coastal surrounds.
The home’s vernacular has its origins between a fisherman’s cottage and Cape farm architecture
Get a similar look using our product round-up.
1. Large ‘Warped’ lab vase, R10 703, Wiid Design
2. ‘Pedro’ sideboard, R16 995, Block & Chisel
3. Cafestuhl stool, price on request, Generation
4. Andreas Kowalewski ‘Faldo’ Table, R13 968, Ligne Roset
5. Marcel Wanders for Moooi ‘Cloud’ sofa upholstered in rainbow bouclé, R128 647, Créma design
6. Malawi Chair in Yellow, from R1 490, Malawi Cane
7. Ignite ‘Fan’ embroidered cushion in Neutral, R787, Stable
8. Large suspended Cork pendant, R55 200, Wiid Design
9. Ivy Dining Table, R29 995, Weylandts
10. Adam Rocket armchair, R1 299, @home
Photography Greg Cox