Based in Cape Town, private chef Neill Anthony – who trained in kitchens with the likes of Gordon Ramsay and Marcus Wareing – gets invited to cook in the homes of prestigious clients, socialite friends and fun-loving acquaintances. From his recently published first cookbook, ‘Private Chef – Neill Anthony defined’, he shares two meat-loving dishes.
Yellowtail Ceviche, Tempura Red Onion (Above)
For the ceviche
1 red onion, finely diced
1 chilli, deseeded, diced
1T mint, chopped
1T coriander, plus a few leaves for garnish
50ml olive oil
juice and segments of 1 orange
juice of 2 limes
1T castor sugar
460g yellowtail fish fillet, thinly sliced
For the tempura
100g tempura flour, plus extra for dusting
3g salt, plus extra to taste
130ml sparkling water
1 red onion, cut into 1cm rings
500ml cooking oil
3 baby yellow tomatoes, deseeded and quartered
1. Mix all ceviche ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together the tempura flour, salt and sparkling water. Set aside.
3. Dust onion rings in flour. Dip into tempura batter. Deep-fry until brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel and season. Place in a bowl, ready to serve.
4. Arrange ceviche on plate. Garnish with yellow tomato petals and coriander. Serve onion tempura on the side.
Green Beans, Rib-eye, Anchovies
salt, to taste
150g green beans, blanched
24g almond flakes, toasted
10 white anchovies
4 black garlic cloves
1. Season the rib-eye with salt and olive oil. Cook over hot coals for 8 minutes, turning every minute. Rest on a tray and set aside.
2. Place green beans in a large bowl and season with salt. Add the resting juices from the rib-eye. Mix through the almonds. Dish onto serving platter.
3. Slice rib-eye 1cm thick and arrange on plate.
4. Top with anchovies and black garlic. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Shop ‘Private Chef – Neill Anthony defined’ online at neillanthonyshop.com.