In this cookie recipe by Expresso Show’s Thando Manyoni, hazelnut and coffee strike a perfect balance with the help of a short dip in melted chocolate. These cookies will make a great tea time companion or a gift for your next visit to the home of a friend or family member, (they are sure to ask you to share the recipe). The ease of this recipe comes from using simple household ingredients like instant coffee and topping it off with salt for an extra tang.
When it comes to the chocolate, either dip your baked cookies half way or drizzle on top, depending on your desire for chocolatey goodness. If you are in pursuit of the deepest of flavours, swap the melted milk chocolate for dark chocolate for an indulgent affair.
If your cookies aren’t perfectly round, use a cookie cutter or glass to reshape them by swirling them in the cutter as soon as they come out the oven. Also, do not overbake your cookies as they may not look done in the middle, but they will continue to cook as they are cooling.
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 ¼ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
¼ cup Instant Coffee
½ cup melted milk chocolate
½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
How to make Coffee Hazelnut Cookies:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the instant coffee, mix and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars using an electric whisk until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Whisk in 1 egg at a time and then the vanilla essence until incorporated.
5. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes.
7. Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough into your hands and roll into a bowl.
8. Place the dough ball onto the baking tray, leaving space between each for spreading during baking.
9. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray, do not overbake.
10. Dip the cooled cookies halfway in the melted chocolate, sprinkle over the hazelnuts and flaked salt on the melted chocolate.