Not a fan of fish? The tikka marinade is versatile and can be used with chicken or pork instead. Once you’re done with the assembly, pair this creamy spicy taco with a glass of Spier’s Signature Chenin Blanc.
Ingredients (makes 6 medium tacos)
For the fish tikka
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground fennel
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• ¼ - ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
• 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
• A knob of ginger, finely grated
• Finely grated zest and juice of a medium lemon
• ½ cup plain yoghurt
• Salt & pepper
• 600 g firm white fish, cubed
• 15 ml vegetable oil, for frying
For assembling the taco
• 1 cup plain yoghurt
• A generous handful fresh dill, finely chopped
• 6 medium size soft flour tortillas
• About 2 cups sliced tomato
• 1 small red onion, finely sliced
• A handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Prepare the fish tikka: Add the cumin, fennel, paprika, masala, turmeric, chili (optional), garlic, ginger, lemon zest and juice and yoghurt to a ceramic or plastic bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the cubed fish and mix to coat all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours to marinate.
Heat a wide large pan over high heat, add the oil, and then add the fish with marinade to the pan. Stir while frying for about 5 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the marinade reduces to a thick coating. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Mix the yoghurt and dill in a small mixing bowl.
Assemble the tacos: Top each taco with a dollop of dill yoghurt, fish tikka, sliced tomato, red onion and fresh coriander.