This pressed butternut and red pepper hummus sandwich by Zola Nene and Rhodes is delicious, simple, and filling enough to feed the whole family on your next cross country trek or backyard picnic. Take a look at the recipe below.
For the hummus
2 x 400 g cans Rhodes Quality Chickpeas in Brine
300 g diced butternut
3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
10 ml (2 tsp.) ground cumin
60 ml olive oil
50 ml (4 Tbsp.) tahini paste
For the sandwich
Shaved ham or chicken
2 mozzarella balls
1 ciabatta loaf or sourdough loaf
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the butternut, peppers, cumin and 50 ml (4 Tbsp.) of olive oil into a baking dish.
3. Toss together, then roast for 25 minutes or until the butternut is tender.
4. Place butternut and peppers, remaining olive oil, chickpeas, tahini and seasoning into a blender and puree until smooth.
5. Cut off the top of the loaf, then scoop out the inside of the bread don’t throw these away, freeze them to use as breadcrumbs.
6. Spread the hummus generously all over the inside of the loaf.
7. Begin layering the sandwich by rocket, ham and mozzarella.
8. Press the ingredients down firmly, then top with the bread lid.
9. Wrap the entire loaf with foil until ready to serve.
10. This sandwich can be made the night before and stored in the fridge, perfect for a road trip. Slice into wedges to serve.